The Miranzai Valley, also known as Hangu, is a scenic mountainous valley located in the Kohat and Hangu districts in the Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa province (KPK) of Pakistan. The Miranzai Valley is made up of 2 valleys, draining from the region of southwest into the Kurram and northeast into the Kohat Tai. It is categorized into upper and lower Miranzai. It extends from the Bangash and Orakzai hills to the Bangashs. It is forty miles (64 kilometers) in length and is 546 square miles (1,410 km2) in area. East of Hangu there are several smaller valleys; west of Hangu, consisting of all of the upper portion of the valley, there is a broad and open plain, bare of trees. There are numerous ravines in this and the surrounding area, with seevral inhabitants, predominantly the Bangash and Orakzai individuals.
British military expeditions occurred in the place when it was still part of India in the late nineteenth century because of the disturbance. Until the year of 1893, this valley was governed by the Khans of Hangu who ruled the whole country from the Indus to the Kurram. For example, Ghulam Mohammad Khan, who was the Khan of Hangu in the time of Nadir Shah, is claimed to have ruled over Baizai (Kohat) and as far as Matanni in the Peshawar district.