Rawat Fort is situated in the area of Pothohar Pakistan. The fort was constructed in early 16th century by Gakhars, a designated warrior clan raised by regional tribes to defend and protect the Pothohar plateau. The grave of the Gakkar chief, Sultan Sarang Khan is available within the castle. It is about 17 kilometers east of Rawalpindi on the place of Grand Trunk Road.
The fort was the scene of a war between the Gakhar chief Sultan Sarang and Afghan king Sher Shah Suri in the year of 1546 AD.
Background of Rawat Fort
The etymology of the term ‘Rawat’ is said to be traced back to the Arabic word ‘rebaat’ which mean ‘sarai’ in the language of Urdu – a roadside inn for travelers. The historians have also summarized that the building’s design resembles a sarai instead of a castle. Historically, several of these roadside inns lined the G.T. Road and were utilized by invaders from the states of Central Asia and Afghanistan. In accordance to traditions, Rawat Fort was constructed by the Ghakkar tribe in the sixteenth century. The region is also stated to have been the battleground between the Ghakkar chief Sultan Sarang Khan and Sher Shah Suri in the year of 1546 AD. The central courtyard of the castle consists of ruined graves, that belong to the tribal chief and his 2 sons, who breathed last fighting Sher Shah Suri.
The castle is almost in square form and has 2 gates. It coins of a mosque made up of 3 huge dome shaped rooms. There is also placed a quadrangular building with a dome. Along the wall there are extra small rooms. In the center of the fort there are various graves. Among them is the shrine of Sultan Sarang Khan. His sixteen sons, who breathed last there fighting, are also buried inside the castle.
Mankiala stupa can be visualized from the roof of the masjid as it is few kilometers from here.