Winder Dam is a proposed small, low-head, Earth Core Rockfill, hydroelectric power generation dam of 0.3 megawatt (MW) generation capacity, situated across Winder River about 100 km from Karachi city in Lasbela District, Balochistan province of Pakistan.
With the construction of the proposed Winder Dam, flood waters of Winder River will be stored. Live storage of the reservoir is 36,167 Acre Feet of which will be yearly available for establishing irrigated agriculture. The total command place will be 20,000 acres with High Efficiency Irrigation System. This project will produce 300 KW of power generation. Damming the flow of Winder River will save the loss of life and property in the area. Water supply for drinking and other domestic uses. Seepage from the dam will recharge the ground water reservoir and increase the ground water resource. Women emancipation by allotment of government land to landless women of the area.
Damming the flow of Winder River will save the flood water for irrigated agriculture establishment, power generation and water supply for drinking and other domestic uses. The project will bring general uplift of the individuals in the place by creation of employment and business opportunities. These indirect benefits, like employment opportunities and consequent rise in the living standard of the individuals, Socio-economic uplift, poverty reduction and women emancipation although can’t be quantified in monetary term. The direct receipt of the project will be available in shape of irrigation service fee (Abiana) and receipt of cost of sale of energy to people. The project would highly increase the development of fisheries in the area and give recreation and employment chances to the residents of the area.
The estimated cost of the project will be US$148 Million. Out of which US$177.6 Million for civil works and US$0.4 Million for electro-mechanical works are required. EIRR of the project is 12.24 percent.
Salient Features of Winder Dam
- Type: Earth Core Rockfill Dam (ECRD)
• Height: 31 m (102 feet)
• Length: 517 m (1696 feet)
• Estimated Mean Annual Runoff: 40.365 AF
• Gross Storage Capacity: 36,484 AF
• Live storage capacity: 36,167 AF
• Life of Reservoir: 32 Years
• Culturable Command Area: 10,000 Acres
• Cropped Area: 20,000 Acres
• Cropping Intensity: 200 percent
• Hydropower Generation: 300 KW
• Spillway Design Flood: 150,000 Cusecs
• Project Cost: Rs. 12,412 Million
• EIRR: 12.41 percent
• B.C. Ratio: 1.04:1
- PC-I amounting to Rs.1.696 Billion passed by ECNEC in its meeting held on the day of Sep 3, 2009.
• Ground Breaking Ceremony was graced by the President of Pakistan on the day of Jan. 01, 2010.
• Tenders for construction opened on September 28, 2009 and Letter of Acceptance issued to M/s Techno Engineering – RSWI JV on the day of Feb. 15, 2010.
• Revised PC-1 amounting to Rs. 12.412 billion cleared by CDWP in its meeting held on the day of June 29, 2010 for approval of ECNEC.